Thursday, April 8, 2010

Drawing with Line and nothing but Line.

Trying a new method of drawing using nothing but one pencil a Derwent Graphic H. For those who don't know Pencils come in various hardnesses Thanks Wikipedia.

As of 2009, a set of pencils ranging from a very hard, light-marking pencil to a very soft, black-marking pencil usually ranges from hardest to softest as follows:
9H 8H 7H 6H 5H 4H 3H 2H H F HB B 2B 3B 4B 5B 6B 7B 8B 9B
Hardest → Medium → Softest

Normally an artist use all types from the scale to produce a work, I chose to limit myself and use only one. So I had to build by layering it over and over and over. I also didn't use any smudging, or what is called a stomper it pushes the graphite into the paper, i just use line by cross hatching, it basically putting them closer or farther apart to make things darker. it was challenging but I just thought I needed stretch myself take myself out of my comfort zone.



6 hours 30 minutes

2 comments:

  1. This may be my favorite. I can't stop looking at her hair; really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, at least that is my layman's opinion. Marty, it was great to chat with you at the ball game.

    ReplyDelete