Thursday, February 25, 2010

My First Souvenir


In Greek mythology, Nike (Greek: Νίκη, "Victory", pronounced [níːkɛː]) was a goddess who personified victory throughout the ages of the ancient Greek culture. She is known as the Winged Goddess of Victory.


I have been in Europe since the end of October and in my effort to lose it all I have not bought any souvenirs. The occasional post card that has been it, but when I was in Greece a few weeks back I picked up my first little statue, the Athena Nike has been on of my favorites since I was a kid, when I read up about Greek mythology, Latin in High School( the Late great Ms. Love) and of course reading the Odyssey and my first pair of Nikes in the late 70's. The statue cost about 7 bucks, now is the time to go to Greece, (The EU is not happy with Greece, so prices have been slash to generate revenue) so Marla picked up a little something too.


The great masters worked off plaster replicas in their training and when I was in Florence to see the David I came across a room full of practice pieces. the students had to work on them at all times of the day to work on value.

No comments:

Post a Comment