Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Drawing in the streets and Galleries in Milan

I am in Milan for a few weeks, So my plan is to go to the streets of Milan and the Galleries and just draw what I see. I have learned that many of the Galleries are closed for the summer and August many just shut down and use the time revamp for new shows in September.




In Europe life slows down many go "holiday" most people get 4-6 weeks vacation a year, most of that time off is August. I think it is because it is HOT a large amount people have no air conditioning and live in cramped spaces so they leave. I did find a few galleries open but on Monday they open at 2:30pm or as they post 14.30, on a side not almost every country in Europe uses military time. Any way the late open times I only made one Gallery on monday. I did walk all over for about 3 hours stopping to find shade then sitting and drawing. Here are a few of the things I saw, the gallery was along Palazzo Reale di Milano The PianoTerra section this had a show with Carla Maria Maggi.



Here is a bit of info  I Googled  on her, It would have taken to long to translate the Italian in the brochure.
This exhibition highlights eighteen of Italian artist Carla Maria Maggi’s (1913–2004) most accomplished paintings from 1933 to 1940 and shows her art to be part of a movement in the 1920s in Milan that sought to bridge the legacy of impressionism and post-impressionism with more traditional modes of figure painting, landscape, and still life. 


Woman sitting across from me at Cafe' 15 minutes


Lion next to the Doumo 25 minutes

One of the 3500 figures on the Doumo 25 minutes

Carla  Maria Maggi painting in the Gallery she was blue and the dress was red 15 minutes

A piece by Giuseppe Palanti 40 minutes

 


2 Hours of drawing


No comments:

Post a Comment